King Charles Under the Weather

Arjun P (Year 11)

In the past few weeks, a shocking turn of events have been occupying the worlds mind. King Charles had recently become a victim of cancer leaving the nation of England as well as much of the world in a state of worry as well as uncertainty of what the future looks like.

On February 5th Buckingham palace had announced that the recently appointed King Charles had been diagnosed with an unspecified cancer, although questions about the type and severity of King Charles’s cancer remain unanswered. This secrecy has led to many speculations and theories fuelling mayhem amongst citizens. King Charles’s cancer was believed to have been detected in January and has since stepped back from all public facing duties with Queen Camilla and the prince of Wales temporarily filling the shoes of our king. Although the king may be taking a rest from the public eye, he is continuing to do state duties and paperwork from home.

This isn’t the first time a member of a royal family has had cancer, King George VI (Charle’s grandfather) was also diagnosed with cancer however unlike Charles his diagnosis was hidden from the world with his death coming as a shock at the time. This shift in tradition suggests that the present royal family is making more effort to reach out and be more in touch with the rest of the world.

So, what does this mean for the future of the monarch?

King Charles has been monarch for less than 12 months with his coronation taking place in May 2023. After waiting 73 years to become king, longer than any previous heir to the throne, he is said to be excited to succeed in his role and therefore get back to participating in his royal engagements. However numerous speculations have travelled its way across the world with Charles public appearances now on pause making many questions how the severity of his diagnosis could harm the future of the monarchy. Various members employed in the royal household have expressed their concern that Prince William could be forced into taking on the monarch’s role sooner than anticipated and there is much concern that he might not be ready to take on the overbearing role as king. Although for the most part the future of the monarch is riding on Prince William, heir to the throne, many wonder if Prince Harry, Charles’s younger son, who has been estranged from his family for the last few years will step back into his royal responsibilities if his family needs him. Prince Harry has visited his father in England when he was first diagnosed with the disease however returned to America, his home country, shortly after. Raising uncertainty about whether he wants to step back into his royal life.

As this unexpected health crisis unfolds we will slowly start to unravel this royal secret and possibly be led to the future of the monarchy hanging by a thread.