Banana Boys, Bellyflops, an Overpriced Canteen: The Swimming Carnival

Taken from Unsplash

The swimming carnival pulses with excitement, as students dash up and down the stairs, their anticipation noticeable against a backdrop of mixed emotions about the upcoming races. Meanwhile, competitive swimmers slip on their sleek swim caps and prepare to make a splash in the pool. Amid the hustle and bustle, the canteen transforms into a vibrant mosaic of colours, with students eagerly fuelling up on snacks (despite the unreasonable prices…). Will Langdon secure the first position? Or will White take over? Let us dive right into the exciting action.

Sarah E from Year 8 shattered expectations and left jaws dropping as she tore through the water, breaking an incredibly difficult record in the highly competitive 14-year-old Girls Butterfly race. Here is what she had to say.

“I was quite excited when I broke the record, knowing that it was a hard one to beat. I was happy with myself knowing that I got a record, especially in butterfly, which few people like. Overall, I was happy & excited that I broke a record.”

On February 8th, a tidal wave of expertise swept through the pool, shattering records, and propelling dreams higher than ever before. Among the many remarkable feats, Sarah E’s record-breaking performance in the 14-year-old Girls Butterfly race served as a source of inspiration. However, she was not alone in her achievement. Daniel C, Christian M, Oliver P, and We Are’s very own Gabriella M broke a total of 7 school records on the 8th of February. It was a day when the youngest to the oldest of swimmers at WCC demonstrated their incredible abilities. Their achievements proved their dedication, passion, and unwavering spirit.

This year we had a lot of fun in the participation event, otherwise known as ‘Fun Freestyle’. Even as a spectator, you could see how much fun everyone was having, and it was very entertaining to watch. Unfortunately, due to time constrictions, we missed out on the participation breaststroke race. As usual, the Year 12s stepped up with their incredible costumes. Some of our favourites were the Banana Boys, the Care Bears, the mermaids, the sharks, the floaties, and the chipmunks. Even without costumes, at the end of the day, they had their year 12 swim. The flips, bellyflops, and timed jumps made the whole school laugh and cheer.

Inspiring shouts of ‘YOU GOT THIS!’ ‘COME ON! YOU’RE ALMOST THERE!’ echoed across the pool deck, demonstrating the unwavering support shared by all the houses. Throughout the carnival, there was an incredible sense of community and spirit. During the cheers, each house bellowed their chants with pride, filling the air with a symphony of spirited enthusiasm. As the relay began, each house cheered to its full capacity. The swimmers swam as fast as they could swim. Some houses won the relay, and some unfortunately lost.

In the end, as the last splash echoed and the final whistle blew, it was clear that the swimming carnival was about more than who swam the fastest or cheered the loudest—it was about sharing moments of laughter, determination, and perhaps a few accidental belly flops. So, as we conclude this aquatic adventure, remember that whether you are a graceful dolphin or a flailing octopus in the water, the true victory lies in diving in and having a splashing-ly good time!