1400 Years Old and Still Trendy – The Comeback of Chess

Image Credit: GR Stocks, Unsplash

Chess, the ancient game of strategy and skill, which came into existence around 600 AD, is currently enjoying a new wave of popularity amongst a wide variety of people of all ages across the world. Chess is a unique game, in the sense that it is one of the only games that has continued to be played continually throughout time, and its popularity only seems to be rising. The recent rise in popularity of the game chess, however, is primarily due to the Covid-19 pandemic, and the rise of popular chess streamers and YouTubers, who have found ways to combine entertainment with the game of chess.

The Covid-19 pandemic saw many people staying at home and seeking an alternative form of entertainment creating a surge in demand for the game. According to Chess.com, the most popular online chess platform, the number of new accounts grew from 6.4 million in 2019 to 18.6 million in 2020. The number of games played each day also doubled, from October to December in 2020. To overcome the boredom of the pandemic many turned to chess; many of those people still play today.

The rise of chess streamers and YouTube personalities has also made chess more accessible and appealing to a wider audience. Some of the most popular streamers include people like Levy Rozman, who goes by GothamChess and Hikaru Nakamura, who despite being a chess grandmaster (The highest international ranking you can receive at the game of chess) still streams himself playing chess almost daily, with a peak audience of hundreds of thousands. These streamers have managed to fill a new niche in the entertainment industry, by portraying humorous, over-the-top personalities, as they play games of chess, or react to other games being played. The growth of big YouTube and Twitch streamers like these has also led to a rise in chess-teaching YouTube channels, designed to help new and experienced players learn things like new openings or new attacking tactics.

Chess is not only a fun and challenging game but is also beneficial for brain development. Studies have shown that playing chess can improve memory, concentration, problem-solving, creativity, and logical thinking. Developing your skills in playing chess can be a rewarding experience, providing personal growth and satisfaction.

Chess is a game that has been around for almost 1500 years yet is still relevant and exciting even today. Ultimately, chess is a game that is impossible to ‘solve’ and there will always be new strategies and tactics developed to help players improve at the game. The new chess boom shows that chess is a game for everyone, that anyone can learn and enjoy. In the words of Beth Harmon in ‘The Queen’s Gambit”; “Chess isn’t always competitive. Chess can also be beautiful.”.

Chess Club meets on Mondays in room 3201!

View Comments (3)