Valentine’s Day: The Hallmark Holiday That’s Lost it’s Meaning

Taken from Unsplash

Valentine’s Day, often painted with hues of romance and adorned with symbols of affection, such as giving roses, chocolates or doing other romantic gestures, has become a hallmark holiday. But what exactly is a hallmark holiday, and how does it shape our celebration of this day dedicated to love? 

A hallmark holiday is characterized by its commercial origins and emphasis on consumerism rather than genuine sentiment. These holidays are often marked by a surge in sales of greeting cards, candies, flowers, and other romantic trinkets, all marketed as tokens of affection. Yet, beneath the glittering surface of heart-shaped chocolates and crimson roses lies a genuine story containing love. 

Valentine’s Day is a perfect example of a hallmark holiday. The roots of its modern-day celebration trace back to the 19th century, where it evolved from a simple Christian feast day honouring St. Valentine intertwined with notions of romantic love. Over the years, Valentine’s Day has been increasingly commercialized, with retailers capitalizing on the occasion to boost sales and drive consumer spending. With companies pushing the idea into society that buying something such as roses or chocolates are symbols of love.  

Now the origin of Valentines Day has historical speculation with many different ideas on what Valentine did. However, in most ideas, it included Valentine doing some type of act for love such as marrying couples secretly when marriage was banned or writing a love letter to someone he loved, before both ideas saying he was killed or died on February the 14th. 

Valentines Day is a chance to celebrate platonic friendships, familial bonds, and self-love, acknowledging the diverse forms of affection that enrich our lives. Valentine’s Day presents an opportunity to show our love for another, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that you must give in to the hallmark side of the holiday.  

In essence, while Valentine’s Day may bear the hallmark of commercialism, but it also offers a platform for us to express and celebrate our love in our lives. By prioritizing authenticity, compassion, and inclusivity, we can infuse this holiday with deeper meaning and significance, transcending the confines of consumer culture changing it to become the original focus of Valentines Day and embracing the true essence of love in all its forms.  

Plus, I’m sure whoever you gift something to, if anyone at all, would much prefer a handmade or much more personal gift from the heart, that could hold a greater meaning and place in their heart. 

So, this Valentines Day, and all the many that come in the future, I hope you think about what it is Valentine’s Day is about and try not to give into the consumerism side of this holiday. Happy Valentines Day!