Morbius: One Of The Movies Of All Time

Taken from Unsplash

The living vampire finally makes his cinematic debut in this film, and it’s wonderfully stunning. It’s tough to truly know where to begin in unpacking such a picture, but it’s not remised to say this is one of Marvel’s greatest, maybe cinema’s greatest.  

586 days ago, the world was introduced to one of the most important and influential pictures ever produced by man, its implications on humanity exceeding that of the Industrial Revolution and the invention of the wheel. And 585 days ago, I wrote an article expressing my highly favourable opinion on the film, yet my piece was shot down by the Big Brothers at We Are. The world was simply not ready for this film. But now that we are seeing the results of ignoring such masterpieces, as bland and aggressively mediocre films such as Oppenheimer and Killers of The Flower Moon grace our beloved silver screens, let’s look back at a true filmic gem. 

Jared Leto’s performance of the Marvel legend is his best since his performance of Joker in Suicide Squad, as he delivers a raw and stellar performance that challenges what we consider acting and rivals a performance among the ranks of Marlon Brando’s in The Godfather. He channels the energy of his character so well; Leto will have you fooled into thinking he went method and truly turned into a vampire in his transformative role. The cast is complete with stars such as Matt Smith as the famous villain Milo Morbius. His character is beautifully tragic, as he becomes a truly sympathetic villain, paralleled to cinematic greats alike Joker in the 2019 film Joker. With his standout scene, accompanied by the song EKSE, displaying the depth and emotion his character has as he beautifully dances shirtless. Of course, who could forget the famous character ‘Martine Bancroft’, everyone’s favourite and memorable character finally brought to justice on the silver screen. This, mixed with a riveting score and astounding visual effects will truly make you believe that Dr Michael Morbius truly flies and soars through the sky.

Across the many years of the human race’s dominance; its art, its culture, its generations of legacies from historical heroes, Morbius challenges them all.

It questions what we consider art and what we perceive as beauty. This is displayed through the fantastic dialogue. Delivering such powerful messages of morals assisted with clever dialogue is a treat, with thought-provoking philosophical lines such as “I’m getting hungry, you won’t like me when I’m hungry” as well as hilarious gut-busting gags like ‘I am Venom, I’m just kidding it’s Dr Michael Morbius at your service’ to assist in alleviating the tension in some intense scenes, to display the movie’s versatility in tone.

In Conclusion, Morbius is a film everyone should see; I truly believe everyone watching it will be as transformed as I was. It has something for everyone in terms of enjoyment, cinematic beauty and strong thematic qualities that will be universally appreciated for years to come.

In the mean time, I eagerly await the sequel: 2 Morb 2 Morbius.

100/10 Bin Chickens

View Comments (2)