How Old is too Old for Politics?

Taken from Unsplash

If I asked you to close your eyes right now and imagine a stereotypical politician, what would you see? I doubt you’d be imagining a bright, young and ambitious person who is ready to take on the world of politics. Rather, it would probably be more accurate if I assumed you were envisioning an old white man who’s glory days are far behind him.

The aging demographic of politicians is a rampant issue in the modern political world, most notably in the United States of America. Donald Trump was 71 when he took office, unlike Scott Morrison who was 50. Likewise, Joe Biden who is currently in office at 80, soon to be 81 on November 20th, compared to Albanese at 60.

I understand why people often don’t comprehend the weighted matter behind an aging political population, but the big reason why it is an issue is due to cognitive decline.

Studies suggest that cognitive decline can begin around 70 years old. But firstly, what even is cognitive decline? Well, it’s a noticeable increase in memory loss, decrease in problem solving abilities and struggles concentrating. Taking this into account, would you really want an individual who is experiencing these symptoms to run a country and make important decisions on your behalf of your nation?

A notable example which encapsulates the effects of cognitive decline is a video of Senator Mitch McConnell, 81, freezing up and blanking mid-interview in August of this year following a similar issue which occurred just a month prior in July. Additionally, the United States has often had senators pass away while in office, like Dianna Feinstein who passed away at the age of 90 this year whilst holding a seat in the senate.

Whilst this is more so an international issue, it still begs the question, should there be an age cap in politics? I mean I certainly wouldn’t want my seventy-something year old grandpa running the country.

However, the issue with implementation of an age cap in one profession, means it opens up such a policy for others, which may not cause an issue for all, but it could for some. So, while it may not be a feasible solution, I still hope that in the future if someone is asked to close their eyes and envision a politician, they will see a bright, young, ambitious person rather than an old white guy who’s probably well into the stages of cognitive decline.