Two Perspectives on Abortion: Pro-Life

Cameron F (Year 12)

Author’s Disclaimer: This article contains opinions on sensitive topics around abortion, medical procedures, and death. Please note that the opinions of the writer do not directly reflect that of the We Are Editorial team.  

Alexee Treviso. This case is too horrific to describe on a student media site, read the story for yourself. 

The thing I found most interesting about this case, as someone who has always been interested in the abortion debate, was the fact that in the state of California, abortion is legal for any reason all the way up until viability, which is when the baby is able to survive outside the uterus with medical help. So, that would mean that if this lady had had an abortion 2 months before she committed this heinous crime, it would have been completely legal. That got me thinking, what was it about the baby’s life being viable for life outside the womb that made it more valuable? Furthermore, the state of California allows abortion at any stage of a pregnancy if it is to preserve a woman’s ‘general health’ (which can include mental health). So, theoretically, if this woman had gone to an abortion clinic a day earlier than she committed the crime and was found to have some personal health complications, she would have been able to terminate that life with no consequences.  

To take things even further, if this lady was experiencing no signs of health issues with her pregnancy and simply wanted to terminate for personal convenience, she would have been within her legal rights to travel to a state such as New Mexico, Colorado or Oregon and others to terminate her pregnancy, the day before the baby was due. 

I am utterly dumbfounded. 

If abortion is a ‘human right’, as many seem to believe, why is it so that different states of a single country find it so hard to agree on when is the correct time to prohibit an abortion within the stages of pregnancy? 

Putting all of that aside, it really leads to a question at the heart of the abortion debate; when does life begin? Of course, this question comes with the basic assumption that it is a crime to end an innocent human life. Therefore, it is important that we distinguish what exactly is and is not a human life within the stages of pregnancy. 

Not being a biologist myself, I have a limited understanding of the development of life and how that works in a human context. But even I, with just a little bit of research, can understand that it is very difficult to find a point between conception and birth where the foetus is transformed into human life. 

Is it okay to abort the baby after day 22, when the heart is beating and pumping blood that is often a different type than the mother? Or perhaps, by week 7 when the eyelids and toes are formed, and the baby is kicking and swimming within the womb? Or week 8, when every organ is in place and the fingerprints have already begun to form? Maybe it’s ok in week 11, like surely that’s okay? I mean, sure, it can grasp objects and has fully functioning organs, but we can put that to one side, can’t we? Or how about week 17, when the baby is capable of REM sleep which allows it to dream? Or week 26, the age when most babies reach viability, when the baby practices breathing by inhaling amniotic fluid into its developing lungs, grasping at the umbilical cord when it feels it, kicking and giving off the occasional hiccup? 

At what point is it ok to end this life? At what point is it not ok? 

I personally think that if anyone wants to use the term, ‘reproductive rights’ or ‘my body my choice’ (which is ironic, because it is not just your body, there is another body within you), they should put some serious thought as to how they define what a human life is. 

I find it increasingly difficult to find a reasonable opinion which agrees that life begins at some stage within the pregnancy, as opposed to at conception.  

Our culture has become so fixated on the narrative that to deny a woman’s ‘right’ to terminate the life of her child is a ‘hateful’ crime. Well, I challenge the “pro-choice” (pro-abortion) movement, to perhaps consider what a hateful crime they may be permitting through the legalisation of abortion. Since the landmark decision of Roe v Wade in the US, it has been estimated that there have been upwards of 60 million abortions in the US alone. The question as to whether life begins at conception is so crucial in this debate. There is a possibility that we could be witnessing one of the most horrific genocides in human history, and it all comes down to determining whether abortion is murder. 

Now, another interesting conversation to be had is how this all ties in with the Christian faith, or more broadly, Judeo-Christian values. 

Many have tried (and failed) to gloss over the issue of abortion in relation to Christianity, overlooking the sanctity of life which it so clearly teaches and justifying it through the narrative of abortion as an ‘astonishing opportunity’ or a ‘lifesaving’ procedure, (when it is, in fact, a life-ending procedure). Here are a few bible passages which prove that the Christian faith will never come close to approving of abortion as an ethically justifiable practice: 

Psalm 139:13-16 ~ “For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.” 

Jeremiah 1:5 ~ “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.” 

Exodus 20:13 ~ “You shall not murder.” 

Proverbs 6:16-19 ~ “There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers.” 

I strongly believe that interpretation of the bible is a topic that requires heavy discussion and thought, so if anyone has any other passages or interpretations of these passages, I would be more than happy to have a discussion with them as to how our opinions differ. 

The resistance to the pro-life argument often stems from a place of sympathy. Sympathy towards those whose pregnancy may be a result of criminal behaviour towards them. To be crystal clear, my views on this topic do not equate to me wishing for a situation in which a birth of this nature would have to take place for any woman. I will never be able to understand what a challenging and horrific situation that would be. But at the same time, this sympathy does not undermine my pro-life beliefs. 

The personal and emotional side of this debate is important and requires consideration. Often this is done in a very one-sided nature, with these terrible situations being used as virtue signalling material to convince people that abortion is not a crime. But there are other situations that must be considered.  

Here is a short quote from my grandmother. 

“I trained in the 1970s at Royal North Shore Hospital, abortions were performed and called dilatation and curettage (D & C) which for miscarriages, is a normal procedure. My general training required a term in Gynaecology, but I told those in charge that I didn’t want to assist in any abortions. I was never sent there and was never asked to go there. I do recall in the recovery ward, a young girl, about 18 (my age at the time) crying as she woke from her surgery – she just kept repeating ‘My baby, my baby’. I tried to comfort her – I will never forget it. 

A mother’s womb is now one of the most dangerous places for a baby, instead of being the safest. For those crying “my rights” or “women’s rights” they’d be best looking beyond their own and focus on those around them. I share the Gospel of forgiveness, and the laws given, not from my imaginings, but from God’s Word. Let us never voice our opinions as truths, but seek out the One who is Truth, and stand firm with Him.” 

Hopefully, this testimony is proof of the fact that the pro-life voice is one of compassion, truth and clarity. For anyone trying to make their mind up on this debate, do not fall so easily into the trap of believing you are hateful for your opinions. Do the research, look at the situation logically, and read humanity’s response to the issue historically. It is very easy to go with the flow in our culture today on a range of issues. But if history can teach us anything it is that when the civilians in a society act like sheep, aimlessly following the flow of the modern moral tide which is ever-evolving, the consequences can be dire.