The Student Media Site of William Clarke College

We Are

We Are

We Are

Can the Eiffel Tower truly withstand the test of time?

Taken from Chris Karidisk, Unsplash.

The Eiffel Tower stands in the heart of Paris, where the Seine River winds through the city’s enchanting streets, and has graced the skyline for over a century. Despite its timeless attraction and enduring popularity, there is an alarming possibility: that this symbol of France’s full imagination and romance will one day fall, forever lost. Is that a possibility? Let’s find out.

The Eiffel Tower’s enduring legacy, which has stood tall in the heart of Paris, has stood greatly for well over a century. The Eiffel Tower was designed as a temporary structure in honour of the 100th anniversary of the French Revolution in 1889, with a projected lifespan of no more than 20 years. Surprisingly, due to extensive preservation efforts, it has far surpassed this date with its 135th-anniversary celebration occurring this year.

The Eiffel Tower is made out of wrought iron. Although this mademoiselle has been doing particularly well, how long can this wonder last if made out of iron? When iron is exposed to moisture or oxygen, it undergoes oxidation, a chemical reaction that forms iron oxide, which causes the iron to become red and flaky. This is commonly referred to as rust. If this rust is left unattended, it will corrode the iron, reducing its physical integrity. Rust has afflicted the Eiffel Tower for many years. According to the tower’s management, it appears that termites are eating away at the wood… Disgusting! This is why the French government is trying to hide this process by repainting it every seven years. If nothing is done to repair this, we could be saying ‘au revoir’ to the Eiffel Tower.

While rust may threaten this magnificent structure, we may still have more than a decade to appreciate and enjoy the uniqueness of the Eiffel Tower. If I were you, after reading this article, I would probably be pleading my parents, to buy tickets to Paris. You never know; we might never see this tower again.