A Midsummer Night’s Dream

Image by Kevin Schmid via Unsplash

“Let me tell you, it’s a piece of work, and very- funny.”

Since Term 3, years 7 to 9 have been working on their Lower Secondary Production; adapted by Miss Lindsay from good old Shakespeare: A Midsummer’s Night Dream. This masterpiece was performed over 4 shows throughout week 6. As an actor in the show, I got to see just how much effort, joy, passion, and hours got put into the production. It was a truly magical show that will be in our hearts for the rest of our lives.

As mentioned earlier, the incredible Miss Lindsay spent hours poring over Shakespeare making sense of his old-fashioned terms and creating it into an Australian comedy that fitted a short time period and school setting. The WCC version changed names, settings, and wordings to make it an enjoyable show. This is an immensely tedious job which we will all be forever grateful for Miss Lindsay doing.

What would a production be without our incredible cast members? We are lucky enough to have some insights into what it was like being in the show from some of the students involved. If you attended one of the performances, I’m sure you would remember The Lovers: Kylie, Jim, Bruce, and Kimmy. Here is what some of their actors had to say about their roles.

“It was a really good and fun experience, and I made a lot of new friends. There were lots of rehearsals, but it was a really fun thing to be able to do.” – Livi L (Kylie) – Yr 7 

“Such an incredible experience; it was so much fun, such an incredible cast, and I absolutely loved playing the role of Bruce! It was a really great production that I feel so lucky to be a part of.” – Sam B (Bruce) – Year 9 

Another highlight was the community theatre group, providing the comedic relief for the show. This is what some of the actors had to say about it.

“It was a fun experience getting to know people from other grades. It was cool seeing the whole production come together. The shows were so much fun to perform.” – Hannah K (Pete/Wall) – Yr 8 

“Being a part of the Lower Secondary Production, I have had such a great time of playing the role Thisbe. It has been a wonderful experience that has helped me feel more confident and connected with the WCC drama community. It was awesome seeing everyone stepping in and helping each other out with the set, costumes and make-up and I can’t wait to be a part of the next musical at the College.” – Daniel P (Thisbe) – Yr 7 

Finally, the dessert creatures. We have two actors, one who found it more difficult than the other.

“Being a Mimi was a very fun experience. The Mimi’s were the desert queen’s spirits. All the Mimi’s had to work together to portray one character through multiple people which took a lot of work but was a great learning experience and an amazing first Lower Secondary Production.” – Amelia S (Mimi Spirit) – Yr 7 

It was a really fun experience. Playing Puck was blast. I had a lot of fun playing him. He was a really perfect roll for me because, in my opinion, the best type of roles for an individual are the ones they don’t actually have to act for, and just being themselves fits the role perfectly. Puck was that character for me. And so, playing him has definitely given me more opportunity to grow as an actor and improve on my skills such as improvisation. All and all, I’m glad I got to be a part of the play.” – Sophia B (Puck) – Year 9 

If you were lucky enough to witness the production in action on one of the days, you would have seen the amazing sets, props, and costumes. Behind all of this were the lovely ladies Sienna F (Yr 11), Arielle C (Yr 10), and Dayna E (Yr 10) who were with the younger students every step of the way toward making the production as amazing as it was. Their jobs consisted of finding make-up designs, trialing them, doing make-up, finding, and adjusting costumes, helping set the stage, giving actors directions, the list goes on. Everything that these girls did was voluntary and outstanding!

A huge thank you goes to Miss Lindsay, who led us through the entire performance, creating it, shaping it, and helping us bring it to life. Mr. Trenerry was also incredible doing all the details like tickets, dates, and the other not-so-fun stuff. Another member of staff that is to thank is Mrs. Hazelwood who outstandingly made stage props and would always open her office door to us. All the actors and backstage people were what was being shown, so, thank you for your endless hours of memorising lines, rehearsing, and performing. A special shout out to Hayley & Mr. Christie who made the special effects noises and never missed a beat, making the production run smoothly. And thank you to you! Whether you came to a show, helped usher, or even looked at one of the posters we are immensely grateful. If you did not get a chance to see the show for yourself, don’t worry! In the presentation assembly we will be performing a revised 6-minute edition with all your favourite characters making one last appearance. In the words of Nick Bottom “Got it? Be there or don’t show your face again!”

View Comments (1)